Engineering and Design Programme Manager
Location: Designability, Royal United Hospital, Bath BA1 3NG
Hours: Full Time: 37.5 hours / week
Salary: Starting from £42,000, rising to £52,000
Closing Date: Monday 16th October 2017
Interview Date: To be confirmed
We are seeking a senior manager with proven programme and resource management skills, and experience of prototyping, evaluation, testing and design for manufacture. The post holder will take responsibility for our new product development programme. This is a new post, which will strengthen our product development and realisation and help us to increase the impact of our work.
The post holder will report directly to the Chief Executive and will have line management responsibility for our multidisciplinary engineering, design and clinical team. They will manage resource allocation for new product development, research and consultancy work.
Successful candidates will have a degree in engineering, design (or other appropriate discipline), with a successful track record of programme and resource management across multiple projects. They will have worked within a formal quality management system and have experience of contractor and supplier management, including subcontracting of manufacturing and assembly. Experience of production and manufacturing processes, bringing products to market and management of a multidisciplinary product development team would also be an advantage.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- To work with the executive team to deliver a strategic and operational plan that will enable the charity to fulfil its mission of making new products available that meet unmet needs.
- Programme management of product development and realisation, with responsibility for deliverables, budgets, resources and quality assurance.
- To work with research leads to ensure that appropriate resources are available to deliver our research programme.
- To work with the Commercial Manager and Senior Product Designer to commercialise our products and deliver consultancy services, in line with the business plan.
- Management of relationships with corporate engineering and design partners.
- To work with the Quality Manager, to ensure product development and realisation processes meet requirements of our ISO9001 Quality Management System.
- Maintain the Quality Management System and ensure that all products meet required regulatory standards and implement systems for post market surveillance.
- Maintain financial and strategic oversight of production and manufacturing facilities, including the provision and maintenance of Wizzybug product for the Early Years Mobility programme.
- Manage and support the team in order to deliver a product development and realisation programme and consultancy service.
- Oversee the preparation of project reports, to advise and attend the Projects and Research Governance Committee, as required.
- Attend and take part in executive team and Board meetings, as required.
Skills and experience:
- Degree, or equivalent, in engineering, design, or other appropriate discipline
- Programme and resource management across multiple projects in a team environment
- Considerable experience as a senior manager in a product development environment including prototyping, evaluation and testing, design for manufacture
- Experience of managing a multidisciplinary team
- Experience of design and manufacturing processes including design optimisation and design for manufacture
- Working within a formal Quality Management System
- Good communication skills, with the ability to operate at both strategic and operational levels
- High integrity and openness, combined with commitment to good governance
- Chartered Engineer with a demonstrable commitment to professional development
- Formal project management qualification (Prince 2, or similar)
- Experience of human or inclusive centred design processes
- Intellectual property and asset management experience
- Experience of lean manufacturing processes
- Track record of successfully bringing new products to market through third party commercial agreements
- Experience of engaging with corporate clients at senior management or director level
- Experience of work within an ISO9001 or ISO 13485 environment for medical device development
- Experience of managing the manufacture of medical devices or assistive technology
- Track record of successful engagement with sales and marketing.
How to apply
For more information about the role, or to apply for the position, please visit the University of Bath careers website. All of our recruitment is managed through the University of Bath.
If you would like an informal discussion about the role please contact Nigel Harris, Chief Executive firstname.lastname@example.org or 01225 824103.
Please note: Designability only accepts accepts applications through the link above. We cannot accept CVs and request no contact from recruitment agencies.